Mindfulness, Character Strengths & Addiction Recovery
Marcello Spinella, Ph.D.
A 4 Hour Live Webinar – Provides 4 CE credits
About the Instructor: Dr. Spinella received his Ph.D. in neuropsychology from the City University of New York. He is an associate professor of psychology at the Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, where he has taught since 1999. He is published widely in the areas of mindfulness, neuropsychology, addictions, and positive psychology.
Program Description: Research in the areas of mindfulness and positive psychology have flourished contemporaneously over the past fifteen years. There is a great deal of overlap between these areas, and both of these areas directly relate addiction recovery. Many character strengths and mindfulness skills are essential to cognitive, emotional, and behavioral self-regulation, as well as overall well-being. This seminar will address the various strengths, research on their contribution to well-being, how they are integral to mindfulness practice, and how they relate to addiction recovery. True addiction recovery involves far more than detoxification and sobriety. This introductory program is appropriate for clinicians who wish to apply positive psychology and mindfulness in substance abuse treatment. No prior familiarity with these concepts is needed to participate in the program.
- Positive psychology and mindfulness – what are they and how do they connect?
- Mindfulness interventions in recovery and relapse prevention – research and practice.
- Research on character strengths.
- Strong Mindfulness – How to integrate character strengths in mindfulness practice.
- Strong mindfulness in recovery – integrating mindfulness and positive psychology in addictions treatment
- Explain the similarities between mindfulness and character strengths.
- Summarize research findings on how character strengths contribute to psychological well-being.
- Evaluate how the application of character strengths can benefit mindfulness practice in general and mindfulness based recovery specifically.
- Identify the character strengths that are particularly relevant in addictions recovery.
- Apply knowledge of character strengths to various stages of drug and alcohol counseling.
Cancellation/Refund Policy: Registration is 100% refundable up to 24 hours prior to the scheduled start of this program.
Questions: Visit our support desk here.
Dr. Spinella has no conflict of interest concerning Unified Mindfulness (UM-UM/HUB) and receives no commercial support for this program beyond a presenter’s stipend.
Unified Mindfulness makes all of our programs accessible to individuals with disabilities, according to the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. For information on accommodations please contact us here:
About Unified Mindfulness
Unified Mindfulness (UM/UM-HUB) is an educational organization created to offer professional support for the practice and delivery of mindfulness training. Partnering with professionals in mental health, education, human services, and business, Unified Mindfulness offers programs and courses that teach and train those who ameliorate human suffering and adversity, by increasing their knowledge and skills to improve individual functioning, enhance relational skills, and increase psychological and physical well-being in the populations we serve.